Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fun Family Activity

Ever wonder what to do with those broken crayons lying around?! This is fun, easy, and cheap..

On the clearance aisle right now, crayons are on sale for like $.40, but better than that, I bet you have lots of broken crayons laying around...we did.  But I bought a box as well.  We tore off all the paper and I let the kids break them up.  Their favorite part of course.


Then I let them put them in the muffin tins, in any order they wanted.


Here is what they looked like IN the oven...as they were melting


Then we put them in the oven on 275 for about 10 minutes.  Here is what they looked like out of the oven (fyi I think I left them in too long, which is why the colors aren't as rich *but more blended* and seperated as they should have been if I'd taken them out sooner, so maybe only 7-8 minutes)


But our final product was cute!  The botttoms are generally the 'prettiest'


It's such a fun and easy craft that the kids can do all by themselves (mostly) and they have fun with them for months!  We use them outside on the sidewalk too so their 'creations' stay around a little longer than with the chalk.  I love it!  (we did this on our family thursday before our bike ride)


No comments: