Tuesday, October 2, 2007

It's OVER.

Well my girls made it easier for me to walk away tonight from volleyball, atleast with coaching the freshmen, than I thought it would be. They showed up and killed them the first game. I put my second string in the 2nd game and it was evident that I should pull them ALL (although I let a few stay in). The first string caught back up but didn't finish it and we lost....no big deal right, just put the first string back in and it'll be over fast. Well, not so much. They lost. I am not sure how, but then again, I am never sure how we lose after killing a team. They weren't horrible, but certainly my team was better, they just didn't want to prove that, or show that to anyone. It was sad. I was so mad at one moment, but then it really didn't matter...it's over. They chose for it to go down and end that way, not me. So needless to say, I am not nearly as upset as I thought I'd be because I was too frustrated at them to realize that it was over, till it was too late...and I still have Varsity to coach. They have regionals Thursday and if they win it, then State next week adn then it is over for good. We have a shot at State...we'll have to see though! So, all-in-all, we ended up 11-13 on the season...so close to .500, but not close enough...I wish it would have ended differently for sure. I felt like a failure as a coach...for a little bit...but I think it is just the craziness of the short short season and lack of mental toughness and maturity on their part. I did teach them the game...they did improve...the did win some games...it was successful on that end, and on the end that matters, they still like me (atleast I think so) and there are still kids coming to youth group that would otherwise have NEVER been there...and that is lots of success in my book! (and in the one that matters too)

1 comment:

Angel said...

Anyone with as much passion and love for the game has to be a great coach. And you did it with 2 small and occasionally sick kids at home, and nusing, and church, and the list goes on and on.