Friday, March 2, 2007

Hearing test

Today I took Jackson to the hearing doctor because his pediatrician said he needed to go because he is delayed in his speech. He only says 5 words (ma-ma or mom, da-da, uh-oh, no and hot)...and he is suppose to be able to say 200 by the time he turns 2. That is in less than 4 months...a lot can happen between now and then, but lets be real honest...he isn't close. So even though I thought he could hear just fine, I took him. Well, she said because he had a cold it could be a "bad" test but otherwise he didn't do so well. I don't really know what that means--sounds like a referral to another doctor or something. I think we find out Wednesday what his pediatrician decides she thinks he needs. Kinda scary...

We went up to the school today though because there was book fair. We got like 5 books or so and I am excited about them. Some of them are pretty cool.

Creighton slept last night for the first time in so long! :) She slept from 11:30-7:30....yeah...too bad Jeff woke me up at 3 and then at 5 she was coughing so I went in to sleep in her room til 7:30 when she woke up....I wish I would have slept the whole time, but I got like 2 2 hour naps in...oh well.

I am thankful for the sunshine...I love the fact that spring follows winter!

2 comments:

Maria said...

I hope that everything works out ok with Jackson. He is certainly in our prayers.

Working on the 2nd half of life said...

I had a 2 y/o that only said 10 words at his checkup. I of course said....what's the problem...the very experienced doc said....he'll talk when he's ready. HA said all knowing mom.....I stomped out of the docs office and went over to the TU Speech and Hearing Clinic....they tested him and I quote " he hears like a dog".....
Well then....what can the problem be? I took him for months of speech therapy and all the while he was perfectly able to get his point across. Communication takes many forms but being uber mom, I wanted some speech dammit....Fast forward.....he was somewhat unintelligable and it never occurred to me that that was a reflection of him talking way tooo fast. A friend of mine that was a speech path major pointed out that he was pronouncing things that he shouldn't have been able to, but not pronouncing the easy stuff. The child did and still does drive me nuts.
Fast forward a bit more....he went to an immersion school and I felt like a fraud sending him....of course at the screening I never mentioned that he didn't bother to talk till WAY over 2. When I grilled his kindergarten teacher a bit she said " he is so clear in spanish, wonderful accent...but we can't understand him in English; he talks too fast! "...."oh really??" I laughed to myself....
Not that this is any consolation....but give him time.....read etc....he'll get with the program