Thursday, January 3, 2008

I Corinthians 13

I Corinthians 13 is a chapter well known and used by many and yet it seems to be one I still REALLY enjoy and it doesn't get old. I memorized it all when I was in a martial arts class that was Christian based...that was a part of each belt, you had to memorize certain scripture. This was for the Yellow belt test. Anyway, that was random info. But back to my story. I love this chapter (pun intended). Someone emailed this to me before Christmas and I had intended to post it but never had the opportunity being without a computer for 9 days (ahhh). Anyway, I had to share it even though Christmas day is past. It puts a new light into the Word (not that scripture needs it...) Here you go...

I CORINTHIANS 13 - A CHRISTMAS VERSION

If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls, but do not show love to my family, I'm just another decorator.

If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime, but do not show love to my family, I'm just another cook.
If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home and give all that I have to charity, but do not show love to my family, it profits me nothing.

If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir's cantata but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point.Love stops the cooking to hug the child.

Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband.

Love is kind, though harried and tired.

Love doesn't envy another's home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens.

Love doesn't yell at the kids to get out of the way, but is thankful they are there to be in the way.

Love doesn't give only to those who are able to give in return but rejoices in giving to those who can't.Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.

Video games will break, pearl necklaces will be lost, golf clubs will rust, but giving the gift of love will endure.

3 comments:

Marci said...

LOVE THIS!! Thanks for sharing. Wish I had read this before the craziness of Christmas. These are things I know, but tend to neglect to remember in the midst of the busy season.

Unknown said...

Isn't my wife so GREAT!!!
I love her and love that she writes so much good stuff on her blog... This is the woman, God tricked so she'd marry me and I get to see her everyday... Blessed are those who know her!!

P.S. I really liked the: "Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband." part

khowze said...

Okay, I have to admit I got this emailed to me too before Christmas, but I was too BUSY to read it all the way through. Now that I have, I do wish I would have read it sooner. The Christmas season goes by in such a blur that the importance and true meaning seems to get lost in all the busyness. I am guilty. I am so thankful for Christ and for my family I pray that in the coming years I can take the time to show that not only during the holidays, but all year long!