Friday, January 11, 2008

A WHOLE lot of reading going on!

I am currently reading these books:

A Heart Like His by Beth Moore
I am enjoying the book, however, I am doing so many right now, I can't devote a lot of time into it and I just started it. I am about at chapter 3 I think. It is great reading though so far and I am learning from it. It is well written in that it keeps my attention and the chapters are fairly short.

God's Story: Finding Meaning for Your Life Through Knowing God by Anne Graham Lotz
This is what the Spring bible study is for us right now and we will be doing Genesis and Revelation. We are in Genesis now and Tuesday was our first week. So this is my first week of homework, although we are suppose to do 2 weeks worth. It is taking some getting used to, but I think once we get out of the days of Creation it will be a little more enticing and engaging...although not to say I am not learning anything...God definitely speaks through His Word...

Veggie Tales: Bible Storybook by Cindy Kenney
I love this book. We read in it most nights to Jackson (and sometimes Creighton) and have for awhile now. I think we've had it about a year. For certain we've read every story at least 5 times! It doesn't get old to me and not to him either. There are lots of stories...I REALLY like this book. Jackson ADORES Bob the Tomato... and so do I

Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones
We got this book for Christmas because I found it referenced on JMom's blog and although we haven't read in it as much as the aforementioned Bible storybook, we have read a few nights in it and I really like it also. It is a little old for where Jackson is right now but I love it that it always puts the gospel in the story, no matter what the topic was...it is great! The age is for 4 and up though so in a few years I think Jackson and Creighton will really like this one too.

Raising Kids for True Greatness by Tim Kimmel
I started this book a while back and loved what I have read so far...but I need to begin back in it, because I never finished it. I certainly like (so far) what he has to say. I want that...to have Jackson and Creighton be great, not necessarily successful in the world's standards.

Parenting with Love and Logic (birth through six years) by Jim & Charles Fay
I have already read this book cover to cover twice, but I keep it out because I haven't quite not even close or even started mastered the main idea in my daily life with my kids. It all makes so much sense, until I try to use it. The examples don't go far enough. I need like 24/7 hotline I can call when my kids don't follow all the rules like all these kids in the examples :) But it is really great...in theory...we'll see if I can ever get it down

I have these purchased and at my home, but haven't started reading (but excited to start):

ScreamFree Parenting by Hal Runkel
Truly know NOTHING about this book, but I have the book and the CD and the title "had me at hello"...Thankfully I can say Jackson hasn't said this in a "true" situation, but last night I was "singsong"ing a phrase that got louder at the end and he said, "mom, stop screaming"...I am glad I wasn't upset or screaming in any way because if he ever actually said that on the more often than I'd like to admit occasion of me screaming, I'd feel horrible...so, let's just say I need to read this book...and pray that it helps and in the mean time it sits by my nightstand to hopefully learn by osmosis while I am reading all my other books

Jesus: 90 Days with the One and Only by Beth Moore
I couldn't wait to get started in this book (I got for Christmas) but with all my homework right now I knew I wouldn't be able to devote much time to it, so I am waiting, but VERY excited about it.

The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Iggulden and Hal Iggulden & The Daring Book for Girls by Andrea J. Buchanan and Miriam Peskowitz
My brother got these books for Jeff and I for Christmas and they are REALLY cool. We haven't actually "read" them yet but we have looked through them and I plan to get on top of looking through them more thoroughly soon...(we'll see how soon that really is)...I think my kids are a little young for majority of the stuff...but its exciting anyway...


I haven't purchased these yet, but NEED to:
The New Strong-Willed Child by James Dobson
Enough said

Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: The Clinically Proven Five-Week Program for Parents of Two- to Six-Year-Olds by Rex Forehand and Nicholas Long
Enough Said...Again

and any other book about how to EFFECTIVELY parent stubborn, strong-willed, just like me children

....oh, and did I mention, I really HATE reading...always have. I don't mind reading a magazine...but I haven't ever been much of a reader of books/novels no matter what they pertain to...oh well...

2 comments:

Marci said...

Wow, for not being a reader- - -you have a pretty impressive list there!! I love to read- - -there's just not a lot of time for it. I am a book fanatic- - -I LOVE books. Happy Reading!! I might want to look at that Veggie Tales book sometime - -my boys would probably like it.

Sally Lloyd-Jones said...

Hi Courtney
just thought I'd stop by and say Hi. I'm the author of the Jesus Storybook Bible--Love your selection of books--so grateful you included my book in there, too. I am a huge fan of Beth Moore. Brilliant. And I have the Dangerous and Daring books that I'm looking forward to reading
: ] Sally