Friday, January 18, 2008

Listen Up

The Gift of Listening
By Renee Swope

"I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God.Bend down and listen as I pray." Psalm 17:6 (NLT)

Devotion:I was recently reading a book in bed when I heard my husband calling our dog to come get her treat. He was actually luring Chelsea , our thirteen-year-old daschund, to her doggie bed.
Daisy, our beagle, was already outside doing her business, anticipating the reward of a doggy biscuit if she obediently came back inside and went to her bed. However, Chelsea was sound asleep in her chair; and nothing was going to get her to budge. Not even the promise of a bedtime treat.
I wondered if Chelsea had perfected her "selective hearing" skills, knowing it was time for bed, or if she's going deaf. I had a feeling it was the latter.
Once the dogs were tucked in bed, we laughed about how Chelsea used to hear every little thing. If the wind blew a leaf outside our front door, she barked.
Andrew my 10-year old came to my bedside to kiss me goodnight. With a concerned look in his eyes he said, "Mom, I hope when you get old you don't go deaf like Chelsea ."
I laughingly told him that when I'm as old as Chelsea , it might be good if I can't hear everything. She gets a lot more sleep than she used to, and I love to sleep. She also doesn't hear when we laugh at her, and it might be good if I don't hear jokes them laughing at me either.
My light-hearted response didn't wipe the concern off his brow, so I asked why he was afraid I won't be able to hear him."Well, sometimes you don't hear me now. Like when you're on the computer and I ask you a question, sometimes you don't hear me." He answered without hesitation.Ouch! I was not expecting that answer. I almost plunged into a "bad mommy" moment. My child thinks I can't hear him. I thought. I felt really bad because although I may be deeply distracted, I know that I hear him but I don't always listen.Instead of defining that moment with guilt, I pulled Andrew close to me and told him I was sorry for not listening sometimes.
I didn't want him to fear that old age might make it worse. So, I explained how me being on the computer is similar to when he's watching a good movie or playing video games. I reminded him how he gets so involved that's it almost like he's in another world and sometimes doesn't hear other noises, like me calling him for dinner. He nodded with a smile.
Then I made a promise I want to keep. "Andrew," I said, "I am going to try really hard to stop what I am doing when you come to me, look away from my computer and really listen to what you're saying. You're more important than anything I do on the computer. What you have to say matters to me!"
Today's verse reflects our longing for God to hear us. It reminds me that in the same way I go to God because I want Him to listen and answer me; my child and others come to me because they want me to listen to them.

That night God showed me a valuable gift I can give to my children, my husband, friends, co-workers and even strangers. I can give the gift of listening by simply stopping what I'm doing, and giving my full attention to them when I hear them speak to me.
Lord, thank You for listening to me. Please help me be a better listener. It's easy to hear with one ear while the other is turned toward my computer, the television or my cell phone. I want to give the gift of listening this year. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


I received this in my inbox this morning and I was kicked in the gut by it. I think I needed to really hear that today! I know that my kids, if they were able to speak, would maybe have a similar story. That made me realize A) how much they do pay attention and B) how much they do need me to LISTEN (cause goodness knows I HEAR them). Just wanted to pass it along...I thought it was good.

No comments: