Friday, March 7, 2008

Life Lessons from A Chicken...

Tonight as I was preparing Peanut Noodles with Chicken and Vegetables the Lord showed me something neat. ANYtime I cook chicken--ever--I ALWAYS cut all the "yuck" off of it. Jeff always complains that I waste so much chicken, because I am very thorough and make sure that there is NO room for any gristle or fat or skin or anything but WHITE meat nice and neat chicken ends up in our food.

As I was doing this again tonight I realized I am hypocritical, that most of us are, when it comes to things like me with chicken (maybe in your life it is something else) and me with sin. The Lord tells us to flee from sin, remove it all, to hate sin...however, I don't know about you, but I am usually trying to see how close I can get to the line without having to actually be "sinning" in that area. Like some of my youth are constantly asking "how far is too far" or questions similar--always wanting to push the limit, push the envelope.

I think God wishes I was like my cooking-chicken -self when it comes to my sin in my life. I certainly will go to all measures to get rid of all of the yucky on the chicken, even if it means giving up some of the good chicken...but how often do I do this in my personal life? Why do I just scrape the surface if at all instead of getting rid of it all, and being confident in that?

So, tonight as we were eating the dinner, and I had no worries of any yucky chicken, I was challenged to do the same in my spiritual life. To really do a heart check, a sin check, and evaluate where I need to cut deeper and really flee from the sin, instead of just letting it keep me in bondage.

3 comments:

Christy said...

(: I personally love that word picture. Why? Because I do the EXACT same thing. It is a great big HUGE disappointment to me if I bite into gristle. (: What a wimp. Anyway, this will REALLY help me to remember. Cut away ALL the sin and anything that even remotely looks like it might be sin.

GREAT JOB my teacher.

TexasTanya said...

Well said. How true that we tend to scrape the yucky stuff off the surface rather than getting rid of it all...

Courtney said...

I am hardly a teacher....:/ but thanks...I wish I was good at wording things! You said it better in 3 sentences than I did in 3 paragraphs...