Thursday, February 28, 2008

Child Drowning Prevention

Last summer Jackson fell in a pool at a friends house and it really really scared me half to death. I posted about it here. We still haven't put him in swim lessons and I know we need to before summer, for both of them. However, Kara sent me this email yesterday with a new "method" of teaching babies and kids to survive in water until someone comes to get them whether they can swim or not...it was incredible. The video was so crazy but that little baby knew what he was doing and it made me feel much better that the dad eventually comes to rescue him (and I pray that he was in the water the ENTIRE time). It was interesting and I wish there was a class near to us, but there isn't....but for those of you who might be in bigger cities, I thought I'd share it with you all!

5 comments:

Maria said...

Not that it really is my place, but do not become complacent because you put them in swim class. Until kids are physically (and mentally) ready to swim, usually around age 3-4 (like Jackson is nearing), even with swim lessons, they are not less likely to drown. Some "experts" even worry that kids are more likely to enter water unsupervised, which would increase their risks, due to comfort level with the water...and parents are less likely to be diligent.

Anyway... Just wanted to share what I had found out in my own research (i've been trying to decide what to do with The Boy).

Becky said...

This technique is exactly what they are teaching Sarah in swimming lessons - of course she is much older. She knows to roll to her back and relax, which is good. I still wonder if she would freak out, though, if she fell in, and then how well would she be able to relax. I just highly, highly recommend swimming lessons. I never did them with the older boys (except Jason, but he was much, much older - like 6), and I am so glad I am doing them with the younger two. I think it will be much easier to have them around water this summer - not nearly as stressful!

Anonymous said...

JUST TO ADD A FOOTNOTE ABOUT THE PROCESS OF A CHILD LAYING ON THEIR BACK CALMLY LIKE THAT-IT TAKES MONTHS TO ACCOMPLISH AND SOMETIMES THEY WON'T LAY STILL. AS IT IS A GOOD METHOD WE TEACH THEM HOW TO TURN AROUND AND GET BACK TO WHERE THEY FELL IN AND GET OUT. WE ALSO TEACH PARENTS THROUGH A DVD THE LAYERS OF PROTECTION SO THEY DON'T THINK THIS IS THE ONLY ANSWER PLEASE TOUR OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.BABYOTTERSWIMSCHOOL.COM

Courtney said...

maria...i absolutely wouldn't be more laid back even in a situation if they had mastered the otter swim technique...water scares the pooh out of me...but i will feel more comfortable knowing that they atleast know a little bit about saving themselves if something crazy happened and i passed out or had a seizure or soemthing crazy, ya know?...

Mindy thanks for the response and the extra website...:)

Maria said...

I completely understand. It freaks me out though, because some parents do think-- oh s/he has passed swim class x, so I don't need to worry about it. One of my friends in elementary school drowned because of that attitude, and it has stuck with me through my years!