Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lessons in Faith...

Well, good news is--I have my phone back.

Here is the story...

I deactivated my service. I was just mad after I left Chili's and felt deflated about it all. However, I had prayed and when I did, I believed, even though my faith in it was about the size of a mustard seed. (mainly because it wasn't "important" in the big scheme of things, and I knew ultimately I'd be fine without it). However, it is good to pray and believe. It's also fun, for one of the few times in life to get to see the "why" or at least a small part of the much bigger picture (myself).

I ended up reactivating it so I could call it a few more hundred times. I was convinced that someone had to have stolen it. There just was no way someone would turn in a wallet with loads of cash and not turn in the phone too (and I NEVER have cash on me, but happened to have paid with a credit card for our retreat and had all the "reimbursement" in cash).

So I called and called and called some more and figured I'd just annoy the person to death. Well, thankfully I did. Because a little girl, probably about 8 or 9 picked it up from the bathroom floor (must have fallen from on top of the TP dispenser) and in her words, "decided to took it" (if that indicates her age). While I was calling it, thankfully she didn't know how to turn it off or down and her dad happened to walk by her room. He heard it and I am pretty sure she now knows what it is like to be caught red handed! They called the number back that had called it so many times and asked if I knew who the phone belonged to. I was excited and raced to get my phone. (they didn't tell me the story until I got there).

The little girl apologized to me as she handed me the phone and then told me what she did. The mom was horrified and the dad looked like he might beat her silly (not really beat her). Then I asked if my wallet had been with it and you would have thought that the dad was then REALLY gonna beat her. I couldn't get it out of my mouth fast enough that I had it in my possession but was just curious if they had been together at the time she found the phone. The dad was about to come unglued and thought she had taken (or "tooken" :)) that too. I guess the wallet was still up on the TP dispenser and the phone had fallen.

I don't think this little girl will go through that again in a long time! And for the few hours of me worrying about my silly phone, I know it was worth it to teach her that little big lesson.

I am very thankful to have my phone. God cares about even the littlest things...that is neat.

Now, at the same time I write this story, I can't help but remember all of my friends and family who go through things SO much bigger (in life, in emotion, and even in the "scheme of things") and God doesn't answer their requests like they desire...nor has He always answered mine, but I continue to pray and believe and trust in His plan and timing and Sovereignty. Praise be to Him in the good and bad, the big and the small. Please continue to pray for the Cooks at this time.

2 comments:

Dalene said...

Wow. I can't believe that happened! What a funny little girl. I'm sure her parents were totally embarassed. I'm glad you kept calling and calling.

Hyperactive Lu said...

Isn't that funny! Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you got it back... poor little girl! :(